Roasted Butternut Soup
I love butternut soup. Little bit too biased on this I must say so promise to share other kinds of soup on the blog soon…
Make the soup with only the Butternut or alternatively add a few carrots to increase the yield of the soup, yet, it keeps the same yellow/orange colour. Carrots are not only high in vitamins but also a good source of fiber.
I always place my vegetables in oven on grill first. Roasting them together with the oil, garlic and flavours. Add this back to the stock and cook through.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 Litre of soup
50ml Olive oil
1 Medium Onion, finely diced
10ml Crushed Garlic
15ml Freshly grated ginger
4 Basil leaves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
3 ml Paprika
Half a fresh chili pepper, finely chopped
1.5kg /2 Large Butternuts, peeled and diced
250g / 4 Medium Carrots cut in slices
1 L Vegetable stock (1 cube)
3 ml Salt
3ml Freshly ground black pepper
Crème fraîche for garnish
1. In an oven pan, pour the olive oil, add the onions, garlic and ginger together. Add the basil, thyme, paprika and chili pepper.
2. Add the peeled, cubed butternut and carrots to the pan. Under grill setting roast the vegetables until the onions are translucent and butternut almost soft.
3. Add the vegetable stock cube to water in the meantime and let dissolve.
4. In a saucepan, add the stock and cooked vegetables. Don’t discard all the juices from the pan. Add everything back to the saucepan with the vegetables.
5. Turn the stove to low heat . Let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and cooked through.
6. Remove from the stove and add to a blender or use a blender stick to blend everything to smooth consistency.
7. Serve the soup in a bowl, add a dollop of Crème fraîche to the soup but do not stir. Black pepper for decoration or a pinch of paprika should add beautiful colour.
8. Plate the soup with a warm crostini bread.
* Substitute Crème fraîche with thick Greek Yogurt.